PDA

View Full Version : help needed

BeatsBanging
10-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Hello, Im new to pro tools and also the use of midi and Im having trouble recording a track in midi. Im using an akai mpc200xl as the controller I have midi interface in my pc but I dont know how to use midi or record. if anyone can assist me that would be much appreciated.

max cooper
10-17-2004, 06:10 PM
are you using a virtual instrument? That would be the first thing to find out. Also, do you know how to route the midi controller to PT?

If yes to both of the above, proceed as follows:

Open a new audio track (mono or stereo as the case would be) and make sure you're in "inserts view". Create a new midi track as well.

In the new audio track, click on the first insert and bring up the name of the virtual instrument, so that it's running as a plug-in. If you're re-wiring it, bring up the re-wire instance of the virtual instrument. In the "i/o" section of the audio track, make sure it's routed so that you get sound. Arm the record button on the midi track. In the "i/o" section of the midi track, make sure the input says the name of the controller, or "All" and the output says the name of the virtual instrument. You can set the virtual instrument as default midi thru instrument in "preferences/midi" but I don't think it's necessary. When you send midi from the controller with the midi track in "record" you should see signal in the plasma meter in the midi channel. Place the audio track in "record" mode, and you should see signal in it's meter when you send midi data. On the transport, press "record" and "play". Play something. Play something really good. Make sure it's a number one. Press "stop". Taking tracks out of "record" is optional to hear playback.

Did I forget anything? I typed this really fast. If I did forget something, or if the answer to either question at the top is no, maybe someone else can fill in.