PDA

View Full Version : How useful is the control surface

bigbubbaj
08-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Anyone here using a command 8 with a 002r? Does it work well?

I am pretty used to in the box, but how useful is the control surface?

Listening and moving knobs and faders instead of clicking...

Is it worth the $$ ?

kcurry
08-31-2004, 06:35 PM
That's a tough question. If you've been working on screen with Pro Tools and you don't have much experience with mixing boards, it's actually a bit awkward to use a control surface at first. I bought a Command|8 and I like using it now, but it takes a bit of work to get proficient at it. It's become part of my interaction with Pro Tools. I have no experience with using any other control surfaces with PT, but I like the Command|8. There are some things it can't do that I wish it could. You can't instantiate a plug-in with it. You can't change the automation mode with it. You still have to use the mouse and keyboard with the Command|8, but I find it's good for doing a first pass on automation while the audio is playing. Then I can go in with the mouse and fine-tune it. As for being worth the money, I think it was for me. I got another way to do things in Pro Tools. It is particularly nice to have physical faders and knobs as opposed to virtual ones. Turning knobs with a mouse on screen hasn't always been a pleasant experience for me. Real knobs are alot nicer. You should try to sit down and work with one a bit if you can. You might even want to try a Mackie Universal or a Tascam control surface.

gerax
09-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi

Speaking of alternative control surfaces, I was checking the Mackie Control Universal out, and I see it's got HUI emulation mode, so it should be 100% compatible with Pro Tools (I'm currently using LE 6.1); does this mean it's got more complete control over Pro Tools, like you said instantiating plug ins and controlling every (almost) mixing aspect of the software (aux sends and pans, automation modes, plug in automation etc..)?

I don't need a monitoring section like that in the Control|8, and there's a few things in it that I don't like also (like the fader caps), so being the Mackie almost the same price (if not a bit less) and being expandable I'm considering it as an alternative.

Any infos or experiences about this?

Thanx

L.G.

Chiba
09-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Instantiate? Wha????

Chief Technician
09-23-2004, 07:01 PM
there's a few things in it that I don't like also (like the fader caps)

Digidesign has a hardware exchange program for TDM systems. I wonder if they'll have a hardware exchange program for worthy fader caps? Enough people sure are complaining about them.

Vaphoron
09-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Digidesign has a hardware exchange program for TDM systems. I wonder if they'll have a hardware exchange program for worthy fader caps? Enough people sure are complaining about them.

Some people have said that you can order new fader caps from Digi but I haven't been able to find out where they heard this. I am just gonna have to call Digi one of these days and find out for sure.

bad jitter
10-03-2004, 07:36 AM
I've heard that Pro Controls fader caps would fit Command 8. But you cant buy them, if you don't pro Control.