PDA

View Full Version : spike removal during post production (audio)

carlacryptic
08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Sorry to be so plebian, but what is the best way to eliminate dynamic peaks in an audio recording using ProTools LE? I've been trying to do it using audio suite plug-ins (gain and normalize) but I'm not getting as much of an improvement as I think is possible. The recording is of a memorial service, with both spoken word and musical interludes and the recording device was an iPod (no separate mic or EQ possibilities). People applauding and/or laughing/talking close to the iPod are, of course, spiking if I increase the gain to the point where the person at the podium is the right volume. Anyone have any tips for me? I usually take care of these things by setting up the room properly and using good mics... this is a labor of love for a dear friend and the iPod recording is all they have.

Carla Cryptic Web (http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~cjatkins/cryptic)

Infa
08-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Well, sounds like super,super top end sound quality isn't a absolute must here, SO I would put on the "Trim" plug in on the track and add "autotmation" to the "Trim" plug in itself.. You know, #1 Put the "Trim Plug In" on the track plug in bus, then with-in the Trim Plug Ins interface click on "Auto", then pick which thing you want to automate, I would pick "GAIN" , then click on "Add" , and or "O.K.' or whatever (it aint in front of me so..) Then when you go to your "what you are viewing tab" Via: waveform, volume,mute, etc. you will see another choice for your NEW automation you just added, it should say "Trim<GAIN>" or something like that. Pick that one, so now you are visually looking at the "gain" with-in the "Trim" plug in. (it will be a line just like "volume" is).. Then I would go and automate it so it all hits the way you want it to, and does NEVER hit the reds, and clip. You know make the quite things louder, and then the things that hit the reds quiter,, so everything is at the same volume... See the difference between doing it that way, and just turning down the volume is, when you turn down the volume it may sound quieter, but if you recorded it in the reds, then it will still be clipping. Where as this effects the actual input/output meter that goes into the reds or not.. Plus Volume,,, so you have ultimate control...

Then after all that has been "riden" correctly, then I would put a nice compression plug in on it next, just for good measure. About a 4:1 Ratio at a 15 Threshold should be fine, with a fast attack, and medium release...

That oughtta smooth your whole thing out.....

Good Luck,,,, and hope this helps...

carlacryptic
08-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Infa, I haven't automated anything yet but that would make things go a lot faster. Thought there might be a way to get rid of the spikes without doing them one at a time but I also haven't tried any compression yet and that's something I should do as well. Your response was helpful, thanks again.

Carla