PDA

View Full Version : "Dirty Laundry" Drum sound

waves3
06-28-2004, 08:43 PM
That fat, seemingly very compressed drum sound, how did they get that? Is that tape saturation that I'm hearing or is that a compressor? Can a plugin do that? Recording drums in my studio, using api 512c pres. I seem to be getting a lot of attack. If I want less stick, and more body, what do I do? Kind of an explosive yet not offensive sound (using real drums for a dance tune) like the drums in Don Henleys "Dirty laundry",
Thanks,
David

N-G-NEER
06-29-2004, 08:24 AM
It's all about mic placement. Generally if you are not getting the sound you want move the mic. This is the key to all great sound.

Peter Duemmler
06-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Hm... the drums sound very natural to me, except for the snare - that seems to be overdubbed and sent to a plate.

Peter

Rail Jon Rogut
06-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Can't remember the track.. but due to the vintage I'd imagine a Wendel Jr. and AMS RMX-16 on non-lin.

Rail

Peter Duemmler
06-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Nope, doesnīt sound like a non-linear reverb to me.
As I said, more like a plate.

Peter

audiaudio
07-01-2004, 02:51 AM
Recorded at Record One (Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks) back when it was run by Val Garay, the original owner.

API console, 57 on snare and hat, 251s on toms and overheads, 421 on kik, 1176s for compression, EMT 140 stereo plate. Recorded on a 3M 24-track machine with Agfa tape.

Peter Duemmler
07-01-2004, 02:32 PM
As I said, itīs a plate. ;-)

Peter

PTUser NYC
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey Peter,

I checked out your website, and I have a question.

The front page says:

"Momentan im Studio: Nice Party Band, Tunes for the takin', White Only"

What does "White Only" mean?

Peter Duemmler
07-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Oh, I see that you can misinterpret that.
Itīs a band name, the singerīs name is Ron White, funny thing: heīs black. ;-)

The list shows whoīs currently producing in the studio.

Peter

PTUser NYC
07-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Hahaha!

Thanks for the explaination Peter. I was hoping it would be something like that!

IF I spoke German, then I probably would have been able to figure out that "Momentan im Studio" means "currently in the studio".

Silly me!

Ironically, "Dirty Laundry" is the only place that I advocate seperating Whites from Colors.

Thanks for the explanation!

It WAS a plate!

waves3
07-01-2004, 08:53 PM
''API console, 57 on snare and hat, 251s on toms and overheads, 421 on kik, 1176s for compression, EMT 140 stereo plate. Recorded on a 3M 24-track machine with Agfa tape. "

Audiaudio,
thank you.

1. The drums that I am recording have too much attack, not enough body. The "dirty laundry drums have a smoother attack, and the body is more expolosive. Is this due to the fact that they are recorded to tape, and if so is there any way to duplicate this effect short of buying a tape deck?

2. Or is it more dependent on the compression being used? Can you give me an idea as to what settings might have been used?

Thanks again,
David

audiaudio
07-02-2004, 12:23 AM
For compression, try an 1176, fast attack, fast release. The fast attack will reduce the initial transient.

The Fatso also works really well for reducing the transient on a drum hit and making it, well, fatter and bigger.

The overhead 251s (very, very smooth, open-sounding mics) are hot in the drum mix on "Laundry." Also, the analog machine helps with drums, as does the EMT plate.

Hope this helps.

Rail Jon Rogut
07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Recorded at Record One (Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks) back when it was run by Val Garay, the original owner.

Run into the ground more like... and it was actually owned by Mel Simon (http://www.indystar.com/library/factfiles/people/s/simon/simons.html) who sold it to Allen Sides (Ocean Way).

Rail

scottgreiner
07-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Oh, I see that you can misinterpret that.
Itīs a band name, the singerīs name is Ron White, funny thing: heīs black. ;-)

The list shows whoīs currently producing in the studio.

Peter

Is that Ron White, Maurice White's brother (Earth Wind & Fire)? If it is, he owes me $20 for dinner on a session I engineered in 1988.

Peter Duemmler
07-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Is that Ron White, Maurice White's brother (Earth Wind & Fire)? If it is, he owes me $20 for dinner on a session I engineered in 1988.

That would surprise me.
I donīt tell you what he owes me...

Peter

waves3
07-06-2004, 08:23 PM
"For compression, try an 1176, fast attack, fast release. The fast attack will reduce the initial transient."

Will any of the software compressors out there be as effective in doing this as an actual 1176? What constitutes a fast attack and release in ms. ?

"The Fatso also works really well for reducing the transient on a drum hit and making it, well, fatter and bigger."

Any plugins that work like the fatso (trying to stay in the box)

Thanks,

David

Peter Duemmler
07-07-2004, 04:28 AM
Digiīs free BF76 ainīt too bad, neither are McDSP Compressorbank and Impact.
You can also try Sonyīs Transient Modulator and/or a tape simulator like McDSPīs Analog Channel...

Or rent a Urei 1178. ;-)

Peter

Ing.Cesar Pineda
07-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Nice webpage!

good lock!
Ing Cesar Pineda Sound Fusion Studio (http://www.soundfusion.com.mx)

Peter Duemmler
07-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Nice rooms!

Peter