PDA

View Full Version : which eq plugs are you using during tracking?

spectacular g
05-29-2004, 06:14 PM
just looking for some advice/examples...
also how about the usefullness of the t-racks eq that came in my bundle?

thanks,
spec g
www.jacklord.us (http://www.jacklord.us)

bladesg
05-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I hardly ever use EQ whilst tracking, but if I have to I'll normally go for the TC Works via VST to RTAS wrapper. Others I like is the Sonalksis EQ and the Waves Audio Track.

TheLP
05-30-2004, 02:18 AM
You shoudn't really use any mastering plug-ins while your recording like on your master fader, because it takes up precious CPU.

bladesg
05-30-2004, 05:31 AM
I don't. And I hardly ever track with plugs either.

sdemott
05-30-2004, 01:12 PM
I'll use the EQ & comp on my mic preamps quite frequently while tracking, but never the plugs. I find it helps later when mixing. The EQ plugs are usbale for fixing problems, but certainly don't sound as good as a decent piece of outrboard gear. Though my current go to plug is TrackPlug by WaveArts. The EQ is pretty good and the compression section is smooth.

HTH

where02190
05-30-2004, 01:34 PM
IMHO never ever eq when tracking. Change the mic/mic position/pre/tuning/instrument/room/player, whatever variables yu ahve to capture the sound you want with the path of least resistance.

IMHO eq is for mixing, not tracking.

s.d. finley
05-30-2004, 02:35 PM
I might use a little, i stress "LITTLE" eq when tracking. But i only use the eq on my hardware, maybe a HPF for voice, or gits.

Or a desser on vox.....I will usally wait until everything is tracked before i use any major eq in PTLE.....and when i do...its McDSP, or a pultec.

rock

sdf

GORILLA
05-31-2004, 08:23 AM
I usually move the mic or re-position the cabinet/drums/or vocalist. Only plug-in running during tracking is the click.

sdemott
05-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Sometimes you can't avoid EQing during tracking..usually to roll off low end to minimize room noise or boominess et al (like when a singer just can't stop eating the ^&#$@*! mic). Sometimes to boost some highs for sparkle on a dull instrument or cut some to mellow out a strident instrument. Of course, in a perfect world I'd have 30 different pres and 50 different mics to choose from for each sound source...but that's definately not the reality of my situation.

I like to make those broad decisions during tracking because no plug-in EQ sounds all that good (haven't tried the URS stuff yet). Keep in mind, I started out on analog equipment - and tracked to tape. Back then you EQed going to tape (making decisions that early in the process) to avoid problems inherent in the analogue equipment (like tape noise). Of course you have to have an idea of what you're after for the track when you go to lay it down, but I find it odd that anyone would start recording without one. The art seems to be lost these days with the DAW mentality of undoing and being able to keep 100 iterations of a track or mix.

Now, I'm 100% for DAWs - they save so much time and allow you to do things that were only possible on equipment costing hundreds of thousands of dollars (how many of us can spring for an SSL). I just wish mixing mentality hadn't shifted so much to a "fix it in the mix" mind set. I was lucky enough to learn good tracking & mixing techniques from people who worked on many of the classic albums. The basic mentality they had was that anything well recorded could be mixed with very little fiddling - things should be damn close just by bringing up the faders.

where02190
06-01-2004, 10:37 AM
FYI, a software plugin on a track during tracking does NOT get recorded, it's for monitoring only. In order to record a plugin, you must buss the recorded track to another track and record that.

sdemott
06-02-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm talking about EQs on outboard pres (I thought I made that pretty clear). As I've said, the plugs just don't sound good for that kind of work, at least to my ears.

katoramone
06-09-2004, 02:32 AM
I personally never eq or effect on record (plugs or outboard) I will however lightly compress to help with potential spikes, but with no eq. I like to get the natural sound of everything and then mix from there....I find if a eq mistake was made in record its a nightmare to fix in mix.

Eric Heil
06-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Never use plugs to track with as a general rule of thumb but I will EQ the pre outboard and if the pre aint intresting enough I will use a Mc DSP Analog 2 on an Aux and buss it to the record track to liven it up a little.

However, using plugs while recording saps the CPU headroom on 1gHz and below.

Keep in mind the golden rule of Audio.

If it sounds good it IS good !

just my $.02

Eric