PDA

View Full Version : how to have these fat guitar sounds

ak47
05-03-2004, 02:06 PM
what i'm trying now alreadt a time is to make these fat guitar sound like fear factory and other metal bands
are there any secrets for it
i use bc rich custom shops straight to the bogner amp
but what mike's do you recoment for that and what preamps
and how to mix
please help me that wil be great
thanks

DrC:drive
05-05-2004, 06:14 AM
1. Fat player i.e godd sound to start with
2. good room
3. Royer 121 ribbon mike
4. Some kind of Neve preamp
5 Cranesong HEDD convertor with a little triode and tape sat
6. Cranesong Phoenix plugin Dark Essence with opal setting

Hope this helps

James Cullen

s0nguy
05-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Neve may be substituted for UA610......season to taste....

-s0nguy

ak47
05-05-2004, 10:03 AM
hello
yes this wil proberly help
so i got a neve 1073 preamp,this wil be good for it i think
i wil look for that mike to
but how do you put it in fromt of the speaker
with the top to the speakers or with the ribbons
thanks a lot
chris

N-G-NEER
05-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Ribbons don't genneraly live long right in front of the speaker cabinet. They should be used as room mics. Try tracking the guitar on one track then play that back into your headphones and play the track again. With the guitar now on two ajacent tracks pan them hard right and hard left. now when you play this back the natural human timing will create a lot of color and thickness. It's how those of us have been doing guitars for many years. You can then use amplitube or some other modeling program to dial in a specific sound but we used to track with a Drawmer 1969 and SM 57's

Try using PZM's on the opisite wall and an SM 57 on the cabinet and a U89 or even a TLM 103 at about two feet from the cabinet. put them all in different tracks and blend to suite.

Sean Halley
05-05-2004, 10:27 PM
A Royer 121 can live in front of a 4x12 just fine (have done it lots), and if you buy one new, the policy used to be that your first re-ribboning was free. There's nothing like two Royers in Blumlein in front of a Guytron......

I would certainly not subject a 4038 or similar (or even the original B&O that the Royer shape was modeled on) to the same torture...if I remember correctly, the Royer goes to something like 120 db....

Hope that helps.....

S..

thin ice
05-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Track the part 4 times as tight as you can get the guitarist to play. 57 about 1 inch from the cloth. Move the mic closer to the centre of the cone for more brightness or nearer the edge for a more mellow tone. Keep some mid frequency in the sound so there is room for the bass. Don't just scoop all the mids because there will be no tone. Use a frequency concious compressor afterwards to control the low end to taste. This will stop any booming. The bass guitar can be quite important in getting the guitars sounding good. Often it is good to record the bass after guitar to make sure the sound is right with guitars. Now pan 2 guitars hard left and right and the other 2 slightly in from that. Good luck.

D Clarkson
05-06-2004, 08:05 PM
JCM800(1986), Mesa-Boogie 4x12 rectifier-speaker+ SM 57....awesome!

richsorr
05-06-2004, 09:29 PM
marshall 1960s lead cab. jcm800 head. great set up with a 57. I recently did this on a project and got great results...took two b52 stealth series cabs and had them facing eachother, about 1 1/2, 2 feet apart. each cab was miked with an sm57 then a audio technica 4050 mic (or anyother large cndenser mic) in the center between the two cabs. having the 3 tracks gave me ALOT of control over the tone. i did this with a hardcore band, so you may want to try it.

PeeTee
05-08-2004, 01:33 AM
what i'm trying now alreadt a time is to make these fat guitar sound like fear factory and other metal bands
are there any secrets for it
i use bc rich custom shops straight to the bogner amp
but what mike's do you recoment for that and what preamps
and how to mix
please help me that wil be great
thanks

DI out to subharmonic generator. Mix 50:50 with distorted track.

Eduardo Apolonia
05-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Andy Sneap and Colin Richardson are the masters of getting the sound for those type of bands.

The way they record is using a comb of 2 mics (SM57s, 421s or a combination of the two) basically straight on the cone, or just 1 inch to the side on one of the mics.
Miking at the center doesn't seem to get a fat tone but it does in conjuction with the bass which has the power , some distortion on the bass helps.

Just be carefully with the eq of the guitar amp, don't use too much treble or gain, try using Gain, Presence, Bass, Mids and Treble at the middle position as a starting position.

Record 2 tracks for each side. Different amps, guitars, eq...

Preamps: 1073, TG2, or even clean preamps....

To mix use a hipass about 80-120hz and a lopass 9-12Khz. Then try to Eq it to taste, getting rid of the mud and giving it some lows and Mids if it needs.

ak47
05-31-2004, 08:57 AM
hello
after some reading i see that people also use a lot
antares mic mod and i try the demo to and you can do some nice things with it
what do you think about mic mod
and is there a lot of difference between the tdm and rtas version because i wanne buy it but the tdm is pretty expensive and i wonder if it is word of the money
chris

Stukface
06-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Just did a recording with a 4x12 and dual rectifier. We used a 57 on the grill and a royer about two feet away. It came out great the guitars cut but still have that low end chunk. I would put up a link to the song, but im not sure how to. I can email it to anyone if they are interested in hearing it. James

ak47
06-03-2004, 04:23 AM
mail me everything you got to say
[email protected]
thanks
chris

digigirly
07-14-2004, 04:56 AM
57 plain center , that's it.

Dimension Zero
07-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Amp Farm!

Joz
07-27-2004, 05:42 AM
Agree about the 57 and JCM800... Has anyone heard fear factory?? there is no room mic whatsoever, its just a buch doubled tracks panned to the sides with ALL the mids out. Not that great of a tone, but I guess it works for that kind of music. Also they don't sound fat at all.
But make sure all the doubles are extremely tight (maybe some editing) so it sounds like one guitar.
But if you want a real fat sound, then mix marshalls and mesas and don't take the mids out (ala system of a down). And for a real fat tone you dont need to have all the tracks be so perfect.

Joz

PTLance
07-27-2004, 10:31 PM
57 off axis about 3" away, 57 behind the cabinet if it's open backed thrown out of phase, room mic blend all till you like.