PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFER FROM MACKIE MULTITRACK RECORDER... HELP !

Moises
04-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Hello guys!

Last night we were tracking a 9-channel drum performance over a reference (play-along) stereo submix sent to the drummer's headphones.

The performance was great as this is a very professional drummer and all went great except one thing that is... hehe... not being very acquainted with Pro Tools in the studio we were tracking in, we use its own facilities, namely a Mackie SDR24/96 digital multitracker (24 max. tracks at 44.1k). So we ended up with 9 tracks at 44.1/16 on the Mackie multitracker (somehow they did not want to track at 96 k).

Ok, my question is: how could we transfer those tracks to a Pro Tools session? I've skim thru the Mackie SDR manual and it says that it has a USB mode in which a computer (laptop etc) connected to USB while in this mode, can access and transfer directly .WAV files stored into the Mackie's internal harddisk (as you maybe know, this harddisk is extractable but not directly attachable to non-Mackie equipment! bad enough!).

Then there are of course those sync pages in the manual and menus, but I am planning on getting one laptop (wihout Pro Tools installed) of my own to the studio and transfer the .WAV files. I just don't know if later on I'll have problem syncing them after transferred into my Pro Tools rig.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and eventually rewarded...

Thank you all!

Moises-

where02190
05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Basically you have 2 options:
1. Use the built in USB connection. Slow, but eventually it iwll gt the job done.

2. Get a Firedock. (http://www.firedock.com). This device allows you to connect toe Mackie external drive directly to any computer via Firewire) or optional USB2.0) for fast transfers.

the SDR supports BWF, so import the files from the SDr into a protools session(set to teh same parameters as the SDR files; file type, bit depth and sample rate) using the import aduio command from the regions list, and drag them to the desired tracks in spot mode, aligning to original timecode.