PDA

View Full Version : digi 001 or the rack

Meseratibeats
03-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Can somebody that had the 01 let me know if it's really worth trading in for the rack
Is the pci more reliABLE THAN fire wire .I've been reading different preferences between the two.

N-G-NEER
04-01-2004, 12:56 PM
If your refering to the 002R it's far better than the 001 in most every respect
Reliability, Track count, sound interface far better Period

Chris Cavell
04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Track count? No. Reliability? Equal. Everything else, like SOUND QUALITY, etc...the 002 beats the pants off the 001.

where02190
04-01-2004, 10:18 PM
IDE is going to be faster and more reliable than FW.
The 001 converters suck, period, and the 2 mic pre's are very average at best.
the 002R has 4 rather decent pres, and much improved converters.

You can only buy the 001 used, which means no support warranty.

DaveI
04-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Just upgraded myself. I have a WN XP 2.66 GHZ system that ran 6.1 with the 001 very well. Very stable - no crashes, no funky behaviour. With the 002 some things are good - some bad...

- The pre amps are clear and quiter but don't seem as warm as the 001's (sometimes there's a sweetness in lower quality). Also, there's two more of course.
- Doesn't seem to take too much more CPU. Only had problems when trying to record a bunch of tracks at once (9) with the sample buffer (playback engine) at 64 samples. Worked fine at 128 which for most things seems to be latency free enough for me.
- Had a few access violations with the 002 early on when using the TRacks EQ that comes with it. Seems to have cleaned up with an upgrade to PTLE 6.1.1. Could be just a bug with the IK software, not Digi.
- Love the extra outputs on the back (including the extra MIDI out). Really dig the "Alt src to monitor" and "in 7-8" on the front panel. Love the front panel line and mic switches (and the hi-pass buttons).
- Liked (see my earlier thread) the 001's ability to do SPDIF mirroring (multiple outs on a master fader) that's not avaialble in the 002. Bummer.
- Last note - I needed to add a 1394 (Firewire) card to my XP system - the $29 card that i bought works fine.

Overall I'm happy - could have continued on with my 001 fine but when taken with the bundled software and the fact that Digi will probably stop supporting the 001 at some point it seems OK. I was also able to sell my 001 to a friend (for the $400 Digi will give you on an exchange). He's happy. I'm happy.

sdemott
04-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Can somebody that had the 01 let me know if it's really worth trading in for the rack
Is the pci more reliABLE THAN fire wire .I've been reading different preferences between the two.

Is it worth trading up?? Depends on your situation. PCI has more bandwidth than FireWire, not to mention that FW does not use an exclusive bus controller (it queries the CPU - the FW800 was supposed to change that, can't say if it did as I've not tested a FW800 setup). You can read all about PCI & FireWire at Apple's developer site at www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com)

Converters - the 002 has better converters. Of course, for about the same $$ (or just a bit more) you could get an external converter that would be much better than either system can offer.

PreAmps - I like the 001 pres for certain things, they are "almost transparent" in a way that is kind of cool for some things. I wouldn't call them linear or anything - but they work for a lot of things. The 002 has very usable pres too, but perhaps a bit brighter thanthe 001 (as was mentioned). For my work I mainly use outboard pres with an external AD/DA converter.

I had the opportunity to use a 002r and was tempted, but felt my money was better spent on better outboard gear - you know, the stuff that doesn't become obsolete in 6 months. Also, opening a session on my system on both the 001 & 002r, I found the 001 to be better behaved in terms of system overhead - I'm talking about a 24 track session with several (like 6 or 7) AUXes and plenty of plugs.

So, depeneding on your needs, it might be worth it. It wasn't for me, as much as I enjoyed the thought of the portability for location work (which I do a lot of), I found that my needs dictated a better front end, one that wasn't tied into a specific HW interface, so I can upgrade without losing that investment. So, make your decision on your current needs and goals & not on the marketing hype about how much better System B is than System A.

So, I don't know if that helps...but it hopefully gives you somethng to consider.