PDA

View Full Version : G4 or G5 for virtual synths in PT OSX?

ooobass
03-29-2004, 10:26 PM
I have a G4 933 single Mhz processor with OSX and 002, and when I run pluggins such as Arturia's minimoog and Moog Modular, as well as the Altiverb pluggin, my computer can't handle it and the CPU overloads, slowing to almost a hault and then telling me to increase the buffer size, although I can't increase it anymore. For anyone with experience, is it worth it to upgrade to a G5 dual proccessor? Will I notice a big difference? I need to be able to compose with these powerfull pluggins and not have my computer "studder" when the proccessor has to work harder. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

mindnoise
03-30-2004, 04:09 AM
Hi

if you spill the bugs for a (dual) G5 (second generation model!!! due soon) the differnce will be huge.

Also check if a (dual) G4 CPU upgrade will do the trick for the next two years or so:

http://www.otherworldcomputing.com

regs

superbass
03-30-2004, 06:38 AM
I have played with the Arturia MiniMoog V in standalone mode (not with PT) on a Dual 2.0 G5.
With the default patches the CPU doesn't get above 10% or so! I imagine it would be great with PT.

It's just too much $$$ for me though. I am contemplating the Dual G4 1.25 vs the Single 1.6 G5 for my 002/Arturia setup. Hopefully this will work for my needs. If anyone is running the Minimoog V on either of these platforms, please let us know how the performance is!